Forum

HomeHomeCoreCoreGeneralGeneralRestart website through OWS?Restart website through OWS?
Previous

Next
New Post
11/10/2012 3:11 AM

Is it possible to perform a website restart through OWS?.  ie; what you would normally do manually by going to Host settings >> Restart

Thanks

New Post
11/20/2012 5:27 AM

DNN does this by touching the web.config file in the background. You can do the exact same thing with OWS. I have provided a configuration (download here) which demonstrates the restart, with a little logic thrown in to make it appear a little more friendly during the wait. Effectively, the only necessary step is the two file actions. The first, copies the web.config file to an Action variable named FILEDATA, and then the next step writes the FILEDATA action over the existing web.config. This forces the site to restart. A little javascript is thrown in to detect when the site restart has completed.

Kevin M Schreiner
Open Web Studio
New Post
11/29/2012 2:47 PM

Thanks Kevin, I'll give this a go. I also managed to perform some sort of re-start by setting an action variable to [Me.ClearCache,System]. When this is executed, i notice in the DNN event viewer that the application re-starts. I'm not sure if this has the same effect as what you described above.

The whole reason i'm trying to force a restart is to try and release resources. I have a scheduled process (an OWS config) running every 3 seconds. After about 1-2 days, the site stops responding for about an hour or so. My hosting provider tells me thats because the site has reached its resource limits and IIS is re-cycling the app pool. Either memory or CPU limits were reached.

This process is the only thing that is running on the site which barely gets any visitors. So what i wanted to do was force a restart every 24 hours hoping that resources would be free up. Will a restart free up memory? Cheers
New Post
3/22/2017 3:46 AM

Hi jliptak, Thanks for suggesting using [Me.ClearCache,System] . I could see that in the Wiki but wasn't sure how to use it. In DNN7 when you change a users username you have to clear the cache for the change to become immediate. Works a treat Tony
Previous

Next
HomeHomeCoreCoreGeneralGeneralRestart website through OWS?Restart website through OWS?

New York, NY • Baltimore, MD • Vienna, VA • St. Louis, MO • Seattle, WA • 410.327.0007 • info@R2Integrated.com

Bookmark & Share Bookmark and Share