Forum

HomeHomeCoreCoreGeneralGeneralIssue Regarding Update Password in OWS 2.2.19Issue Regarding Update Password in OWS 2.2.19
Previous

Next
New Post
6/29/2014 11:58 PM

Issue Regarding Update Password. I am using OWS 2.2.19 version and DNN 7.2.2 version.when we update the password of user using ows then it shows the fllowing error message: Password assignment failed: System.NotSupportedException: This Membership Provider has not been configured to support password retrieval. at System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.GetPassword(String username, String passwordAnswer) at DotNetNuke.Security.Membership.AspNetMembershipProvider.ChangePassword(UserInfo user, String oldPassword, String newPassword) at DotNetNuke.Entities.Users.UserController.ChangePassword(UserInfo user, String oldPassword, String newPassword) at r2i.OWS.Actions.AssignmentAction.Handle_Assignment(Runtime& Caller, String strAction, String strName, String strValue, Int32 iAssignmentType, Debugger& Debugger) Remark: DNN 7.2.2 version encrypt all the passwords.
New Post
6/30/2014 6:18 AM

Thanks for the heads up - I'm finalizing a release patch for the latest 7 versions and will isolate and correct this behavior. This particular issue has cropped up a few times over the years with previous DNN versions. 

Kevin M Schreiner
Open Web Studio
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
New Post
7/29/2014 8:04 AM

Password updates work perfectly fine in all versions of DNN using OWS (up through 7.3.1) with the currently active release. The issue you are bumping into is specifically related to how you have your instance configured in regards to password storage. If you are using Hashed passwords, rather than Encrypted passwords in the configuration - they are not capable of being decrypted. Take a look in your SiteSettings > User Account  Settings > Registration Settings - it will list "Password Retrieval Enabled". I suspect yours says "False". You can change to the Encrypted password format and specifically enable or disable this feature from within your web.config file. From an OWS perspective, there is nothing I can do to override that aspect of your DNN instance.

Kevin M Schreiner
Open Web Studio
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
Previous

Next
HomeHomeCoreCoreGeneralGeneralIssue Regarding Update Password in OWS 2.2.19Issue Regarding Update Password in OWS 2.2.19

New York, NY • Baltimore, MD • Vienna, VA • St. Louis, MO • Seattle, WA • info@openwebstudio.com

Bookmark & Share Bookmark and Share