Forum

HomeHomeCoreCoreGeneralGeneralWhat is the future of the OWS?What is the future of the OWS?
Previous

Next
New Post
10/21/2015 12:11 PM

Hi Kevin,

Great to see you are still around and especially still supporting OWS. I myself don't care about OWS 3. As you say learning a new interface is not something I want to do. I did not know OWS was open source but that's because I wouldn't know what to do with it anyway.

As I mentioned in my original posting OWS is very important to me, and probably many others. I think the concerns come from the fact that there has not been an update in a year and the forums have been a bit quiet of late, especially with responses to questions. I must admit that I can be blamed a bit for lack of responses as I know there have been questions that I may have had the answer too. I do not expect you to respond to every question just because you are the creator.

I just saw Empulse's post about a core group of users banding together to provide better support, perhaps that is a solution to move things forward and to improve confidence in the future of OWS.

Anyway, I for one promise that in future I will take a more active role in responding to questions I may have an answer to or in the least have something to offer.

Regards

Tony

New Post
11/22/2015 9:36 AM

Hi,

I just wanted to say that after so many years - starting in the days of ListX - I'm still enthousiastic every time when working with OWS. Even when I only scratch the surface of its possibilities.

I'm using OWS just for our own needs (we manufacture engine parts for competition cars) - both for our homepage and intraweb. That's why my presence on the forum comes in waves, just like now. Me too, I could be more active to reply to questions, although I have the idea that OWS is more and more used by high-end programmers who know a lot more then myself.

A few months ago, I had a question of which I had the idea that the answer was to be found in the core logic. Since Kevin posted that he provides custom support, I did send him an email about my topic. I'd really advise to make use of that service too, and personally I even don't care sharing the info on the forum afterwards as it did cost me $20 only to find out what I needed to know. Like that, it can be considered as paid forum presence of Kevin, something we all benefit of. At the same time, I think it is everyone's responsability to know when to stop asking additional questions as well to avoid abuse of his splendid service...

@Kevin: I hope you agree ;)

Kind regards to all,

Ken

New Post
12/7/2015 7:16 AM

I have the same opinion :)

ken.stessens wrote:

Hi,

I just wanted to say that after so many years - starting in the days of ListX - I'm still enthousiastic every time when working with OWS. Even when I only scratch the surface of its possibilities.

I'm using OWS just for our own needs (we manufacture engine parts for competition cars) - both for our homepage and intraweb. That's why my presence on the forum comes in waves, just like now. Me too, I could be more active to reply to questions, although I have the idea that OWS is more and more used by high-end programmers who know a lot more then myself.

A few months ago, I had a question of which I had the idea that the answer was to be found in the core logic. Since Kevin posted that he provides custom support, I did send him an email about my topic. I'd really advise to make use of that service too, and personally I even don't care sharing the info on the forum afterwards as it did cost me $20 only to find out what I needed to know. Like that, it can be considered as paid forum presence of Kevin, something we all benefit of. At the same time, I think it is everyone's responsability to know when to stop asking additional questions as well to avoid abuse of his splendid service...

@Kevin: I hope you agree ;)

Kind regards to all,

Ken

New Post
10/9/2016 9:25 AM

Hi again, 

due to lack of time, I'm in the process of hiring a full time programmer for our own needs. I'm still enthousiastic on OWS even if it has been ages for an update. But I'm wondering if it's wise to have someone who's new to OWS, work his way through the learning curve of DNN and OWS. Any thoughts are highly appreciated.

@Kevin: please consider a payed service. I guess everybody here understands that only the sun comes up for free. Personally: when montly paying $50 for a broadband internet connection with rather poor and impersonal support, I wouldn't mind at all to pay the same amount for continuity and personal support for a great product like OWS. I'm sure that just a "no/maybe/yes" would be appreciated by many of us!

Just my 2 cents...

BR, Ken

New Post
10/15/2016 12:23 PM

Thanks for the kind words! It's unfortunate that I've not had any time to support the platform since leaving R2integrated five years ago. I've sustained it to keep it viable on the DNN platform, but beyond that I've not been able to focus much on the extension and development of the tool. In my real life, I run a cross platform team focused on Web development, primarily utilizing .Net MVC as well as PHP, depending on the need and requirements. Most of the time over the last 2 years has been spent shoring up the technology that I inherited when taking the position, and building, from scratch, a full Ecommerce / CMS platform. 

For those of you who have reached out for support, I still provide a great deal of it, but I havent made a habit of navigating the forums over the last several month due to the heavy workload I have. Also, to note, something broke on R2I's forum and email alerts which used to go out to my account when new posts come in has stopped working, and I didnt realize it until today. 

Anyway, I hope all is well! 

Kevin M Schreiner
Open Web Studio
Previous

Next
HomeHomeCoreCoreGeneralGeneralWhat is the future of the OWS?What is the future of the OWS?

New York, NY • Baltimore, MD • Vienna, VA • St. Louis, MO • Seattle, WA • 410.327.0007 • info@R2Integrated.com

Bookmark & Share Bookmark and Share