Forum

HomeHomeCoreCoreGeneralGeneralGoto Action and passing parametersGoto Action and passing parameters
Previous

Next
New Post
2/4/2015 2:23 AM

Hi Folks,

I have a number of OWS Configurations that contain frequently used procedures in Regions such as Changing Passwords, Loading data, etc.

Currently I assign values to Action Variables in the Calling configuration which are then used in the "Common" configuration using the Goto Action. This becomes a little cumbersome especially if the configuration called requires a lot of values to be passed.

An example would be creating a DNN user account. I need to first set 7 Action variables (Username, Password, Portal ID, etc) and then goto my common configuration which creates the account. 

I would love to perform a Goto action and pass parameters, but that is not possible. So what I am thinking of is putting all of the values into say a JSON string and passing that in a single Action variable.

Before I go ahead and play with this I am wondering if anyone has a better idea. I would also love to hear how other achieve this.

Regards

Tony

New Post
2/7/2015 11:58 AM

Hi Tony,

Like you we do use what we call Generic configurations (e.g. to draw a graph, to build a table) but simply use Action variables as you are currently doing as both input and output 'parameters'. We do have a naming convention to ensure that Action variables in a Generic configuration cannot be confused with Action variables in the Calling configuration. We also consume the action variables in the generic configuration immediately on return from the GoTo Action by assigning them to Action variables in the calling configuration so that someone reviewing the code can see the interaction clearly. The trouble with using an alternative approach is that it would be something else to teach newcomers to the team!

Mike

New Post
2/13/2015 6:30 AM

Hi Mike,

I decided to give my Json idea ago and it works like a treat. Now all I have to do is assign the json string to a single Action variable which is then consumed in my generic configurations using a Query Action.

No more assigning values to multiple action variables which means a lot less chance of messing something up.

Now all I have to do is rewrite all of my generic configurations.....maybe on the next project

Tony

New Post
2/13/2015 7:08 AM

Great Idea! Would you be able to supply a simple example of doing it this way? I'm wondering if there is anything I can add to the framework which would make this easier

Kevin M Schreiner
Open Web Studio
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
New Post
2/13/2015 10:05 AM

Hi Kevin,

Glad to provide an example....

As I said earlier my existing, in production, generic configurations use Action variables which have to set in the calling configuration. The more variables the more chance for mistakes.

Using my new approach I now set 1 action variable with a json string and my generic configuration consumes that string via a query action.

The attached configuration will eventually include all of my generic DNN User procedures but this one only has 1 region so far for the Login process, called "Login" .....Note I haven't had a chance to test this but you get the idea of where I am going

I call this procedure via the Goto Action but before I do I assign an action variable called Parameters with a json string with the values I want consumed. In this case it would look like

{
"username":"myusername",
"password":"mypassword"
}
I think I need to make a few changes such as encoding/decoding the values in the json but again you get the idea. 

If anyone has any other comments about things I should look out for please let me know.

My full version of this configuration has functions such as Login, DNN Account creation, Password Change, Username Change, Assign To Role, Delete from Role and Delete from User. I will gladly share once I have rebuilt it using this new approach

Regards

Tony

Previous

Next
HomeHomeCoreCoreGeneralGeneralGoto Action and passing parametersGoto Action and passing parameters

New York, NY • Baltimore, MD • Vienna, VA • St. Louis, MO • Seattle, WA • info@openwebstudio.com

Bookmark & Share Bookmark and Share